Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Roast Stew, an original recipe.


Here's a secret: I don't know very much about meat. I only recently discovered how to stir fry chicken without drying it out. I sometimes forget what animal becomes pork. I am not entirely sure what red meat looks like when it has spoiled. And I do not know the difference between pot roast and stew meat.


I have been harboring stew meat for some time, waiting for just the right day to transform it into pot roast. With hints of fall in the brief moments of crisp air and sparse fallen leaves, that day arrived earlier this week. I tried to find a recipe for what I had in mind. Something that included potatoes and carrots, broth and beef. Something that would turn out a warm blend of savory flavor. Something that would be ready in less than two hours.

I couldn't find a recipe to fit my whim, so I made it up. It started as a stew and ended roasting in the oven. I would say this batch was a rough draft. Rough, but not too shabby.

My process:

First, simmer the meat in olive oil in a soup pot. Add two cups of water. Or more, if you feel like it.

Second, add some Better than Bouillon (from Costco) until your heart tells you to stop. My heart was happy with a little more than a tablespoon.

Third, cut up potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and onion. Spoon the meat into a casserole dish and add the veggies. Add salt, pepper and a clove of fresh garlic. Pour the broth from the soup pot over the top.

Fourth, cover with foil and cook on 350 for about an hour/hour and a half.

Share and eat hearty.

Any tips to help me in my meat adventures?

1 comment:

  1. You know what Julia Child writes about meat, perhaps? You should pat it dry before you sautee it, or it won't brown properly. :)

    ReplyDelete