Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Home, little by little.

Today was a victory. A significant win. A gap was filled, a wrong righted.

Today, I bought a couch.


I'll start at the beginning, because you don't skimp on the details of a story like this. I started my day meandering around the farmer's market with a friend, sipping coffee, chatting about life, stocking up on healthy stuff. As a side note, I bought kale and Asian eggplants. I've never cooked with either, and I told my friend that those were my daring experiments for the weeks.

Life's a thrill, out here on the edge.

After the farmer's market, we hit up some thrift stores. I have been wanting a couch for my sitting room since I moved in a little over a month ago. (Sitting room? Yes, that's what I call it. Because I am the same age as your grandma.) I guess what I found is technically a love seat, but I bought this gem for $30! That's roughly the amount I spent at the farmer's market and slightly less than what I spent on new pillows. I replaced the heinous gold-trimmed pillows that came with the love seat with new ones from T. J. Maxx. I'm in love.

Maybe not a huge win in the grand scheme of things, but this space feels more like my own. Our physical space matters and cultivating home within it is good, meaningful work.

Here's to gaps being filled, even if the gap was only in my sitting room.



2 comments: