Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Mom and Robert Frost

I've had a number of false starts as I've tried to begin this blog post tonight. I began to write about perfectionism (that one will come when I get it just right), heroes and writer's block. Each time I felt listless before the end of the first sentence.

Then my mom called and asked what I was doing. When I told her I was trying to write a blog post, she said, "Oh! Then I'll let you go so you can concentrate."

My mom has always thought I am a smarter, better person than I really am. She also tells me how much she loves reading my blog. Her excitement for a new post is genuine and her support made me pause and think for a moment about the people in my life who do a good job of supporting me. The list is long and thinking through it reminded me of my favorite poem, "The Silken Tent" by Robert Frost.

She is as in a field a silken tent
At midday when the sunny summer breeze
Has dried the dew and all its ropes relent,
So that in guys it gently sways at ease,
And its supporting central cedar pole,
That is its pinnacle to heavenward
And signifies the sureness of the soul,
Seems to owe naught to any single cord,
But strictly held by none, is loosely bound
By countless silken ties of love and thought
To every thing on earth the compass round,
And only by one's going slightly taut
In the capriciousness of summer air
Is of the slightest bondage made aware.


Tonight I'm thankful for the countless ties of love and thought that push me closer to the silken tent woman I want to be. 

Are there any poems that inspire or charm your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment