Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Thoughts on the season.

December is a busy month. Hence my silence. I know you probably thought the lack of posts was thematic--an object lesson in waiting to honor the Advent season--but it isn't true.

I didn't celebrate Advent growing up. I picked up on the concept of Advent during college through books, church and friends. I have thrived off the reverence and focus of Advent as a framework for the time leading up to Christmas. It has given me lovely words to hold onto in the midst of the busyness: waiting, expectancy, stillness.

More importantly, this way of thinking about the season has helped focus my attention on the coming of Christ. It helps to restore the sense of wonder at the story of God becoming a human and at the implications of that story for the world in general and me in particular.

Over the week that remains between now and Christmas, I intend to post on the season. No promises on frequency (remember Thanksgiving?), but I can promise some beautiful words from the biggest Christmas lover I know. I believe they call it a guest post. Suspenseful, I know. So check back!

If you're looking for an Advent study for this year (no shame...it's that busy December thing), John Piper has a great free one out this year. You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment